Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is an annual three-day festival that features workshops, readings, onstage presentations, and community events that celebrate emerging writers and short fiction.
The Festival takes place where Alice Munro grew up, in Huron County, Ontario, Canada from June 1-4, 2017. For more information about the Festival visit us at www.alicemunrofestival.ca and find us on Facebook.
The Short Story competition, now in its 13th year, is an opportunity for writers to explore the short story, a literary art form made popular by 2013 Nobel laureate Alice Munro.
Adults $1,500 FIRST PRIZE - 2 additional prizes of $250 each
Youth $500 FIRST PRIZE - 2 additional prizes of $250 each
NEW - THE ARTS AND LETTERS CLUB OF TORONTO FOUNDATION YOUTH AWARD
$500.00 PRIZE - For an emerging Author in his or her twenties, from the Greater Toronto Area. Sponsored by The Arts and Letters Club of Toronto Foundation. All other rules and regulations apply.
The Foundation is a registered charity established in 2014 and its stated purpose is to advance education by providing scholarships and bursaries to Canadian youth pursuing a post-secondary education and to provide awards for demonstrated excellence in the arts to youth under 30 years of age from the Greater Toronto Area. For more information about the Foundation, please contact us at www.artsandlettersfoundation.ca
Please indicate in your cover letter if you also wish to be considered for this additional award. (Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is the central city of Toronto and the four surrounding regional municipalities and they are Durham, Halton, Peel and York.)
Submissions are being accepted until April 1, 2017 for the 13th Annual Literary Short Story Competition for Emerging Writers.
The winning entry will be the Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction, written by an author not yet published in book format. Winners will be announced at the 2017 festival with simultaneous social and print media release.
$25 per entry for Adults; $10 per entry for Youth paid through Submittable.
If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment, please contact the Alice Munro Festival at 519.357.3550 ext 131
DEADLINE April 1, 2017
A regional judging panel will select the top 10 stories within each category. A celebrity judge will choose the winners.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants /refugees and those living in Canada
- All writers who have not been published in book format, including online publications, in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher
- Adult writers are age 19 years and older; Youth are up to 19 years of age on or before April 1, 2017 or as otherwise stated in within the individual award categories.
- Short fiction prose; up to and including 2,500 words (title excluded), English language
- Not previously published in any format
- Must be writers’ original works
- Multiple submissions welcome – (only one entry per writer is eligible for award)
- Shortlisted winners will be notified prior to the festival.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES
- Click on the button below to fill out the application form and upload your entry.
- Submissions will be accepted online only
- Payment will be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard) via Submittable. .(If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment, please contact the Alice Munro Festival at 519.357.3550 ext 131)
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on April 1, 2017 to be eligible.