Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is an annual three-day festival that features workshops, readings, onstage presentations, and community events that celebrate emerging writers and short fiction.
The Festival takes place where Alice Munro grew up, in Huron County, Ontario, Canada from May 25- May 26, 2019. For more information about the Festival visit us at www.alicemunrofestival.ca and find us on Facebook or Twitter.
The Short Story competition, now in its 15th year, is an opportunity for writers to explore the short story, a literary art form made popular by 2013 Nobel laureate Alice Munro.
Adults $1,500 FIRST PRIZE - 2 additional prizes of $250 each
Youth $500 FIRST PRIZE - 2 additional prizes of $250 each
Submissions are being accepted until March 18, 2019, 11:59 pm PT for the 14th Annual Literary Short Story Competition for Emerging Writers.
The winning entry will be the Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction, written by an author not yet published in book format. Winners will be announced at the 2019 festival with simultaneous social and print media release.
$25 per entry for Adults; $10 per entry for Youth paid through Submittable.
If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment, please contact the Alice Munro Festival at 519.357.3550 ext 131
DEADLINE March 18, 2019
A regional judging panel will select the top 10 stories within each category. A celebrity judge will choose the winners.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants /refugees and those living in Canada
- All writers who have NOT been published professionally in book format, including online publications, in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher
- Adult writers are age 19 years and older; Youth are up to 19 years of age on or before April 1, 2019 or as otherwise stated in within the individual award categories.
- Previous winners are ineligible to win again in the same category.
- Short fiction prose; up to and including 2,500 words (title excluded), English language
- Name must not be on the submitted file
- Not previously paid to be published in any format
- Must be writers’ original works
- Multiple submissions welcome – (only one entry per writer is eligible for award)
- Shortlisted winners will be notified prior to the festival in May 2019.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES
- Click on the button below to fill out the application form and upload your entry.
- Submissions will be accepted online only
- Payment will be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard) via Submittable. (If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment, please contact the Alice Munro Festival at 519.357.3550 ext 131)
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on March 18, 2019 to be eligible.